Our mission is to provide affordable housing and promote the wise and sustainable use of resources. This mission is supported by our strategic goal to Embody sustainability leadership throughout our programs, and look for opportunities to promote and enhance broader and deeper sustainable efforts in the communities we serve.
Housing Resources embraces sustainability and weaves it throughout its programs.
Plaza del Sol--Our office building is the first existing building in Grand Junction to receive LEED, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, certification.
- Weatherization--Due to cost-effective, energy-efficient home improvements, our clients have decreased their energy bills by 30 percent or more. During our 21 years of providing weatherization services, clients have saved more than $12 million in energy costs, or more than 68,000 metric tons of CO2.
- Housing Rehabilitation—Our low interest loans for income qualified homeowners provide a means for necessary repairs to maintain a healthy and safe living environment and simultaneously improve energy efficiency, reducing energy and water usage. Examples of improvements include:
- Replacing inefficient mechanical systems with new, more efficient equipment
- Replacing windows with high efficiency, low-e thermopane windows
- Repairing and/or upgrading electrical and plumbing systems
- USDA Mutual Self-Help Housing—Since 2008, 107 homes built in this program have met ENERGYSTAR®. The use of high performance windows, high efficiency boiler/DHW systems, ENERGYSTAR® rated appliances, 2X6 walls insulated with cellulose insulation, and air sealing practices have reduced energy usage by 50 percent compared to homes built prior to 2008. Grants from Home Depot Foundation and Energy Outreach Colorado have made many of these efficiency upgrades possible, sometimes at no cost to the homeowners.
- Multifamily Affordable Rentals--We have incorporated sustainability standards into our Asset Management Plan. Our rental properties have been upgraded with energy efficient heating systems, water heaters, appliances, water saving devices, lighting, and low-E windows. We also encourage recycling and provide tenant education regarding sustainable living measures.
Sustainable PartnersAlliance for Sustainable Colorado
City of Grand Junction
Energy Outreach Colorado